Some people...

Today Bethany and I took our weekly trip to our favorite store, Hobby Lobby. As I was checking out, I had Kate in the cart. There was an old guy in line behind me, and he says to me,

"You know I saw a little girl just about that same age fall out of a cart and split her head open. Worse thing I ever saw."

Then he turns to the cashier and says, like I'm not even there...

"You know parents these days just don't know how to tell their kids no. That's why their all growing up to be gangsters." And then he gave me a cold stare.

Excuse me?!? So I said to him,

"You know what sir? My little girl is in a bad mood, she's hungry and it's past her naptime.   If I let her out of the cart she runs away from me, which leaves her vulnerable to be kidnapped by creeps like you. If I put her in the seat in the cart, she tries to stand which would be a much longer and harder fall, injuring her more than if she fell from the cart basket. The buckle is broken on this cart, so I can't strap her in at the moment. So, sir, THIS is the safest place for her to be at the moment. Don't call me a bad mom, and mind your own business JERK!"

Okay...I didn't say that because I'm a pansy and I hate confrontation. But, I did call him a bad name when I was 10 feet away from him. I said it loudly too, so I hope he heard.

Seriously?!? I know that kids fall out of carts. You don't have to tell me that. We've all heard the stories. But I was watching her, and she was still close enough to me that I could have caught her if she started to fall.

So, ladies,  I guess what we're supposed to learn from all this is:

If you let your child ride in the cart, they will grow up to be gangsters.



Photobucket

5 comments:

RonElaine said...

LOL! about your last line!

Anna really did fall out of the cart - the front part while standing up trying to reach something off a shelf.

I can't believe he said anything! EVERYONE puts their child in the basket! Especially once you get 2 and the little one has to be buckled.

Rappleye Family said...

OH WOW! I was really impressed if you really said that all to him!! YOU GO GIRL!!

Brianne said...

Oh my gosh! I love you! I always wish I had the guts to say what I'm thinking to creeps like that. How could anyone say anything that mean near that cute little Kate?!Taryn fell super bad out of a cart one time. And I still think I'm a good mom. Stuff just happens sometimes. But, then again...She is kind of a gangster! Haha!

Alicia said...

He probably meant well but took it out on the wrong person!!

I put my kids in the basket all the time. If I put Natalie in the seat, she squirms out of it, then stands on the seat and tries to dive out. I feel like she is much safer in the basket. No, it's not ideal, but you work with what you've got! ;)

I don't like when random strangers come up to me and tell me how to parent. Some people just need to mind their own business.

Good for you for keeping your cool :)

Wendy said...

One of the greatest acts of human kindness I have ever observed first hand took place in a Walmart.
A child fell out of the basket with an audible thunk. You could have heard a pin drop. The mother was consoling the screaming child. She immediately called her pediatrician's office while juggling her child. She was sobbing while trying to relay her information.I am sorry to say that I just stood there like all the other people. (feeling very sorry for her) Then the miracle.....a sweet old lady went and gave her a hug and told her that everything would be okay and that she was a good mother. I just wish I had been that sweet old lady that day.