In fact, I'd be willing to bet money that all of these shows are absolutely no different here then they are in New York. I'd still like to visit New York someday, and see an actual "Broadway" show, but for all intents and purposes, that is crossed off my list. Over and over again. Because, as you will see, I became addicted.
This show holds a special place in my heart. It was the first one I saw, and it is astounding. I love this play so much that I've even seen it twice. When it came again to the valley years later, I took my mother and sister to it. I'd absolutely see it again too. I love it.
A few months after seeing The Lion King for the first time, a co-worker of mine, Chandra, asked if I would go see a show with her. She needed to see something theatrical for a class she was taking or something. Movin' Out was currently playing at the Gammage, so we went to that. Honestly, I can't remember anything about this. It's all dancing, no talking, and doesn't really have a plot. It was fun to go, but I probably would've liked it better if I was a dancer.
After we had seen Movin Out that same co-worker and me thought it would be fun to get together with our other co-worker, Brighten, and start seeing all the big shows that came to the ASU Gammge Auditorium. We wanted to become cultured, and to be able to say, "I've seen that" whenever somebody talks about a play. So when we saw Les Miserables was coming, we quickly bought tickets. It was amazing, of course.
Well, we couldn't stop there! So a couple of months later, we all got together to see STOMP. If you don't know what it is, it's a show that's all percussion. But they don't use drums or regular instruments. They use everything from basketballs to garbage cans to make music. A really fun show. It's coming again this year. I would like to see it again.
A while after that, Chicago was making it's way through. Chandra had left for a better job, so this time only Brighten and I went. This is probably the only time I'll ever say this, but the movie of this is actually better than the musical. Of course it was still entertaining and fun, but the way they do it is weird. Everyone is on the stage at all times dressed in black. The orchestra/band is actually on the stage, and the actors sit on the side, and only come up to the front when it's their turn to sing. It was fun, but it's not one I would see again.
I'm trying to list these in order, but I can't really remember when Phantom fits into the timeline. I know that I was still in college, and Bethany hadn't joined our family yet, so I don't think it was THAT far after the Lion King. Anyway, I saw this one with my mother-in-law and sister-in-laws. This is the only show that I've had floor seats for. It was phenomenal, of course. It always amazes me what they can do in a live performance.
A few years went by without anything really amazing coming through the valley until...
I was so excited about this one that I actually bought my mother, my brother, and I tickets to this a whole YEAR in advance. The first time it came here it sold out in a DAY and I was not going to take that chance. Well when it came time to actually see the play, my brother couldn't make it, so we took my sister-in-law Bethany with us. You can't see this show and not have it be your favorite! It's AMAZING. We even had understudies that night playing both Elphaba and Glinda. Still can't imagine that it could've been any better. This one is coming again in February. I'm crossing my fingers that I get to see it again!
The next 5 shows I've gone to see with my mother-in-law and sisters-in law. Mary Poppins was a Christmas gift, and the next four were part of a season ticket package that we all got for our birthdays.
(dang another picture that won't center...)
I'm a big fan of Disney, and they definitely bring that Disney magic to their shows. This play is so FUN. The plot of the play is actually nothing like the movie, but that doesn't hinder it at all. During Steppin Time, a chimney sweep actually tap dances on the ceiling! And at the very end, Mary Poppins flies out over the audience.
I can't even tell you how excited I was to see this one. Beauty and the Beast has ALWAYS been my favorite Disney movie and I've always wanted to see the play. It did not disappoint! It was so good. The costumes were just amazing. The audience actually applauded when Belle came out in her iconic gold dress. It's my favorite. Okay, I've seen too many amazing plays to actually rank them, but this one is definitely up there. I cried at the end.
(what is up with this?)
This one was cute, but not anything amazing. It's a good one to take your kids too since it only runs a little over an hour without an intermission. I did really like how they did their set though. It's all black and white, and looks like it came straight out of the book.
(seriously?!?)
This one was by far the biggest surprise. When I first heard about it I was like, "Shrek...a musical?!?" so I didn't really know what to expect. I was blown away by how good this was. It is HILARIOUS! Some of the cast members we saw were actually in the original broadway show. The set is amazing, and I'll be forever amazed at how they did the dragon. She was an enormous puppet that took up the entire stage, and had about 8 people operating it. So amazing. Go see this if you have a chance. You will not regret it. It's awesome, and it's my favorite :)
Which brings me to the play I saw last Saturday.
Fiddler! I hadn't seen the play since my brother was in it in high school, or the movie in years, so I didn't really remember that much of it. Which was fun, because it was like watching something new. The actor who played Tevya was awesome and really made the show. It was amazing, of course, like all the shows I've seen are and I'm been so blessed to be able to see them all.
So there you have it, my incredibly fun, and expensive, addiction. Want to join me for the next show? I believe West Side Story is coming next...


1 comment:
I am right there with you! I've only been to see wicked, but I can't wait to see another one! Definitely addicting!
Post a Comment