Part five: We plead innocence!

This is the last of the Babymoon saga, I swear. But I just couldn’t be done without telling you all about the trip home.

We woke up at 4:00am and were on the road by 5:00. I tried my hardest to stay awake (I think it’s rude to fall asleep while Dustin has to be awake. Is that weird?), but I just couldn’t! We got to Yuma around 8:00, and stopped at Love’s truck stop for gas and a bathroom break.

I noticed this sign above the pump:

These people watch MythBusters! For all those that haven’t seen that episode, they were trying to figure out what causes freak fires at gas pumps. They figured out it had to do with static electricity. If you enter your car while your gas is pumping, then get out (creating the static), and the first place you touch is near the nozzle, you might create a spark that could create a fire. If you can’t read this sign, it’s the middle three bullets that caught my attention:
-Discharge your static electricity before fueling by touching a metal surface away from the nozzle.
-Do not re-enter your vehicle while gas is pumping
-If a fire starts, do not remove nozzle then back away immediately

Okay, I know I’m a nerd, but I think that’s cool.

The next part of the story needs some explanation. You’ll probably find it reassuring to know that the US is really cracking down on Border Patrol. We got stopped 3 times on the way to California, and twice on the way back. Usually they just wave you on by, or they’ll ask you if you’re a citizen and you show your ID. No big deal. Well, on the last stop on the way home it got really interesting.

We pull up to the station and the guard says:
“Where are you guys coming from?”
“California”
“Where are you guys headed?”
“Home to Arizona”
“Are you two US Citizens?”
“Yes”
“Could you show us your ID’s please?’
“Sure.”
As we’re getting our ID’s out of our wallets he gets impatient and says, “I need you to pull over under that tent over there”

Dustin and I exchange glances that say, “Okay, this is weird” and we drive over to the tent, ID’s ready to show the next officer. But the next officer doesn’t even care about our ID’s and says
“Do I have permission to search your vehicle?”
“Ummm…yeah”
“Please step out of your vehicle and stand over there please”

So we get out, I leave everything in the car, but Dustin has his wallet in his hands so they say,
“Set your items on the table and stand over there”.
“Yes sir”
“For your protection and mine, I’m going to need you to put your hands on your head”
Then the officer completely patted Dustin down!

What were they searching for? Drugs? Weapons? They didn’t see anything threatening about a pregnant lady, so they just told me to have a seat.

Meanwhile they brought out their dog to search our car! I thought this was all very funny, but thought it would be unwise to laugh.


They eventually decided that we were harmless and sent us on our way. I bet you are all wondering why they stopped us. I think this may have had something to do with it:



Doesn’t he look dangerous? Haha. Maybe it’s because he looks like a pothead, or bears a resemblance to the Unabomber. Maybe they are required to stop men who wear beanies and sunglasses. I think it’s the facial hair. It makes him look untrustworthy. Dustin hadn’t trimmed or shaved his mustache for a long time because he believed it to be linked to the Cardinals winning streak. The beard hadn’t been trimmed for a while either. Plus we left early in the morning so he looked tired and had on baggy comfortable clothes. All together in one package though, I’d say he looks suspicious. Wouldn’t you?

6 comments:

RonElaine said...

haha - he looks like K-Fed!

Kourtney Dawn said...

I kinda thought that he looked like kid rock!!! But I think its funny you say he looks like the unabomber!!! Good thing he knows you love him!!!

Kay said...

Being that I live in a town with a lot of border patrol adgents and friends with a couple, it's a funny story. Bo had a similar run in here in town, but really, who wouldn't stop him? ☺ And your hubby really could pass for a drug lord, scary!

CHAD & ELISE TYSICK said...

Ya Dustin definately looks a little scary in those pictures. Sorry dustin its true! thats a funny story...

Alicia said...

Ah, ha! That's so funny! I saw a COPS episode once where a pregnant lady and her husband were arrested for drug dealing. Maybe the border patrol saw the same episode.

So funny.

Alicia said...

He really does look like Kid Rock. I didn't notice until Kourtney pointed it out. Uncanny.