Potty Training


Yesterday was my first attempt at potty training Kate. I had purchased "Potty Training in Less Than a Day" off amazon. I had read it, and I knew my stuff. I had all the supplies, a doll that wets, plenty of snacks and candy for positive reinforcement, and yummy drinks. Kate had passed all the readiness tests and we were good to go.

Or so I thought.

Successful pottys: 3 Accidents: 11

This day was FRUSTRATING!  She was being so stubborn.  She didn't want to obey at all, and she was so grumpy.  She's been sick for the past few days, and even though she's feeling better I should've postponed training.  But I still thought she could handle it!  She did learn HOW to go potty though.  So at least she did learn something.  She can pull up and down her panties, sit on the potty, go (if I've timed it right), wipe, empty her potty bowl into the toilet, flush, and return her bowl to her potty.  She's awesome at that.  What I think her problem is bladder control.  I don't think she recognizes the sensation of "having to pee" yet, because she would just go anywhere without even the slightest attempt to find the potty.  She does know accidents are bad (we had 11!) and she always says, "Uh oh" and changes her panties.   So she KNOWS accidents are bad, she KNOWS how to potty, but it's just not clicking. 

So to avoid another incredibly stressful day like yesterday (she's already in a grumpy mood anyway), I've decided to go with a more gradual potty training approach.  I just don't want her to have a bad experience with potty training and not want to do it at all.  So I've put her back in diapers for the time being, and I'll take her potty every hour or so or when I think she needs to.  Then in a couple weeks, I'll try a day of panties again.  Hopefully this works. 

My main goal is to have her completely trained by the time her little brother gets here.  So I have 5 months, and I'm confident that she'll be trained way before then.  She's a very independent little girl, so I know that as soon as it "clicks" she'll be good to go. 

So, yes, I do recommend that book.  And it will work, you just have to make sure your child is completely ready and in a good mood.  Kate was neither, and I just tried it too soon.
Photobucket

4 comments:

Clint and Tiffany said...

Good luck with it! Maelee is showing lots of interest in going potty - asks to sit on the toilet, makes "pooping faces" when she's up there {ha ha!}, tells me when her diaper needs changed, goes more than 2 hours between potties... I'm just not ready to do it again! Madi was totally trained during the day, and then got sick and instead of dealing with nasty panties, I put her back in a diaper for a few days and she TOTALLY digressed. It told her that I didn't think she was ready and that it was ok to be in a diaper and pee whenever she wanted to. Grrr! I was SO annoyed. It honestly took over a year to get back to where she had been before I had switched her back. {And it had only taken a month to get there in the first place!} We learned a LOT, but I still get stressed out just thinking about potty training again! I think this time around, I'll just wait until Maelee asks to be trained, then I'll know she's ready. Diapers aren't so bad!! :O) LOL

Wendy said...

You make me laugh!
You are doing just fine.
Take a couple of weeks off.
Love you!

Alicia said...

That's impressive that she had successful attempts! That at least means she gets it. I would give it another try. I think it just takes time for them to figure it out. Weston had a lot of accidents on day one and I got really frustrated but by day two he was better and by day three he was pretty much potty trained. He had a few accidents here and there over the next month but now he really never has accidents. Good luck! It definitely is a stressful and frustrating time but it is oh so worth it!!!! :) But, I say that and am not really trying to potty train Natalie right now. ;)

Lindsey said...

Good for you for being on the ball with potty training. I didn't even think about having 2 kids in diapers- and let me tell ya, it is awful!
She is so stinkin cute in her underwear...ADORABLE!!!