im·pe·ti·go
Have you ever heard of this?
If you know me well, you have. I have been cursed with this skin infection many times. Too many times. I cannot even count the times this horrid little beast has made an appearance on my face.
It is not a cold sore. It looks like one, but it is not. It is much more evil. It spreads rapidly (if not taken care of) and will take over your entire face. I have had this happen twice.
I was in junior high the first time. At first we thought it was an allergic reaction to dish soap. But after a week or two of it getting worse and spreading all over my face (completely humiliating for a tween) my mother finally took me to a dermatologist where I was diagnosed and given antibiotics. I moved on with my life and forgot about it...
...until I was in college. I was dating Dustin at the time, and I was trying to get in touch with my spiritual side. I felt that I needed to be closer to the Lord in order to make the decision to marry. So... I prayed to be humbled. Which, you know, isn't the worst idea. Sometimes people need humbling. After this experience though, I have always been more careful for what I pray for. haha.
The next morning I woke up with what I thought was a killer cold sore. My roommate took me to the store and we bought some Abreva. This, unfortunately, did nothing. It only made it spread. I had health insurance, but there was a battle over which doctor I was allowed to go to. I didn't make it to the doctor until about 2 weeks after the infection had started and by that time it was ALL OVER my face. I think I skipped school for about a week because I was too embarrassed to show my face anywhere.
This is not a picture of my face. But ask Dustin, Dawn Sheree or Cindy and they'll tell you this is about how I looked:

Long story short. I finally got medicine and it was gone. Untill...
...my wedding day.
Yes. You read that right. A couple days before my wedding day I woke up to the spawn of satan on my lower lip. I completely freaked out, and went to the doctor right away. I mean, how could I even kiss my groom if I had a disease on my mouth?!? I recieved my antibiotics (and a lecture on how birth control will not work while I'm on them) and began to treat the impetigo. Something I havent told you yet though--impetigo looks WORSE when it's healing. It gets crusty yellow dry scabs, easily bleeds, and appears much larger. I'm sorry, were you eating?
Anyway, even though I had medicine, this curse was on my lip for my wedding and all the pictures that go with it. At my reception my mother planned this really sweet thing where I started off dancing with my Dad, then my husband cut in, then my brother Andy, then Jared. I never got to Alex. While I was dancing with Jared I spun him around (he was still little then) but when I did, his arm hit my mouth and I started bleeding everywhere!
No I am not making this up. I'm not even exaggerating. This actually happened to me.
At. My. Wedding. Reception.
Now roughly about every 3-6 months I have had bouts with this skin disease. It never leaves me. Which brings me to this morning. This morning I woke up with this:
Disgusting right? Enlarge the picture, if you dare. The worst part is-- I JUST HAD THIS. Two weeks ago! My impetigo occurrences have seemed to increased exponentially. I will be diligent in taking ALL my antibiotics this time. But it will be back.It always comes back.
So folks, the moral of this story is that the Lord does indeed answer our prayers. If you pray to be humbled, you might just end up with a disease on your face.

11 comments:
Oh, man. I had no idea you were having such a fight with it! I'm zo zorry! Best of luck -I hope you can find a cure!
How miserable Erin! I cannot even imagine going through that ON My WEDDING DAY!!! I am so so sorry!
I so remember all of that! Take all those antibiotics...I assume it flares when you are stressed?
Is there any info about diet, stress, exercise or other things that might reduce the occurance?
Is it like herpes virus' in that it is always in your system, or are you reinfected every time you get it? If its a reinfect type of thing, maybe its something you are exposed to (make-up brushes, lotions, etc.) that is carrying the bacteria.
Hope it goes away quick, girl. I wouldn't go out in public either...
It curiously looks like the 'birthmark' on your chest.(those pictures you posted) Could we have missed something this whole time? I've noticed that the mark has gotten darker. Time to see a dermatologist. Elaine had good advice too. A regular doctor also and have some blood work done. Sometimes things show up in a lab report that doctors totally miss. Love you!
Oh, believe me. I always wash all my sheets and change my make up brushes and all that jazz every time I get it.
I also learned online that some people are carriers for the bacteria and never show any symptoms, and other people catch it and do. So...I really think that Dustin is a carrier for the bacteria and that's why I brake out with it so much.
Maybe Kate is too, and that's why I've had an increased number of outbreaks since she was born. She's never caught it though. Thank goodness.
Oh Erin, I'm so sorry!!
If it makes you feel any better... I was at your wedding reception, and I don't remember that happening.
Interesting about certain people being carriers...and another thought, it could totally be hormones. Your body goes all crazy during pregnancy, then breastfeeding, too. Maybe its a combination of things - you are exposed to it, your stressed so your immune system is down and your hormones are all whacked out? Who knows. Too bad we don't live closer - we'd come visit. We're not afraid of your germs! :)
Dear Erin,
Remember the time you got impetigo all over your face? Oh wait, of course you do!! I'm so sorry about your face :)I really do wish it would go away FOREVER! Maybe there's some spell or something that will get rid of this curse for good! Right now my little guy is muttering a bunch of unintelligible mumbo jumbo... maybe its for you! get better!!
ugh i had this last year and it was horrible! i thought it was a cold sore for the longest time... until it spread to my chin. there are pictures on my facebook because we went to surprise holly down in thatcher while i was cursed, and of course, she had to take pictures. i always want to delete them because my face looks disgusting! long story short, i feel your pain, and i am sorry.
Erin, if you don't take all of the antibiotics, it will continue to stay in your system. Take it from Aunt Sherri, you do not want to ruin your immune system!! I did not take my antibiotics many times and look what happened to me--it matters!!
Oh my Gosh, I am so sorry, but I am laughing my head off right now! I had so many flash backs just now. I will email you a picture I just looked at the other day (during an outbreak). Remember how Dustin called you a leper and was moody all week because he couldn't kiss you. :) Man those we really good times!
Post a Comment