In Praise of Stay-at-Home Moms


I don't know about the rest of you, but I was given a lot of grief when I decided to be a stay-at-home mom. It's something that I've always wanted to be, so I chose a career that would be incredibly flexible if, and when I ever chose to work when I had children. I went to beauty school, graduated, received my license and went to work. I worked all while I was pregnant, and everyone client would ask me, "Are you going to return to work after the baby?" I knew in my heart the answer would be no, but to avoid the debate I would simply say "I haven't decided yet." The time got nearer, I got bigger, and I started to tell my clients I would not be returning. Some were supportive, some were not. It was the same with my co-workers. Some were supportive, some were not. Needless to say, when I quit my job I felt guilty.

Guilty for what? Wanting to raise my baby? Ridiculous.

I think that in today's society, there is too much negative said about being "just a mom".

I cannot say enough good things about this book! It's by the same author that wrote my favorite marriage book of all time The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands. Dr. Laura is such a straightforward say-it-like-it-is woman. I just love reading her stuff. This book made me feel completely justified in my decision, and made me realize that I'm doing the most important thing in the world: being a mommy.

And you know what? I LOVE being a mommy! I love being a mommy, and I love all the duties that come with being a mommy. I love taking care of Kate. I love to make her smile, and console her when she cries. I love taking care of our apartment, and having dinner ready when Dustin comes home.

Do I still love doing hair? YES!! Of course I do. In fact, if you need your hair done, please call me and we'll work something out!

Do you know what I love more? This:
Not this:
This:


Not this:This:

Not this:
THIS!
I absolutely loved this book and all the advice given. Read it! It'll definitely always be on my bookshelf to remind me why I do what I do. I love it!

I love my family. I love my daughter and my husband. I'm so grateful for him, and that we support each other. I'm grateful that he goes to work and supports our family. Thanks a million babe!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go cuddle with Kate!

8 comments:

Erin said...

I LOVE THIS POST!! So good. So true. I felt the same way when I was working and my customers would ask. Some people, mostly business women, would look at me like I was crazy when I told them I would be a stay at home mom. And then one day a dermatologyst customer of mine (I worked at a bank) asked. I answered. He wispered to me "good for you". And he was impressed. It made me feel really good that there are still a few people left in this world that appreciate what mothers goals are. I'm going to get that book asap!!

About the camera... my point and shoot is a sony cybershot with 8.1 mega pixels. I love it! For the most part the pictures come out really clear. I think it runs about $200, or it did when I bought it. But here's my advice. Save up a little bit longer and get a Canon Rebel, or something like that. It's a DSLR. It's a little bit more expensive, but not insanely overpriced. But the quality will be 100 times better. I just looked up the prices and you can get one for around $500 with a lens. Here's the link to one:
http://www.adorama.com/ICADRXSKS.html?searchinfo=canon+rebel

Anyway, I know that's a lot of money. If you are just wanting a point and shoot, I definitely do recommend the Sony Cybershot, although, at least on mine, you can't adjust the shutter speed or aperture. Hope that helped! I am always willing to answer any questions you have, so just email me at erinhouseholderphotography@gmail.com if there's anything else you want to know.

Alicia said...

I want to kiss Kate's cheeks. Soooo badly.

I've got to get my hands on that book!!!!

Also, not sure why, but I teared up looking through your pictures. Why? Why?

Because you're fabulous.

Jessie and Byron said...

OK, So I am going to go find that book, and I am exited to read it!! I have an entire week in the mountains next week and I will read it! Thanks for the review!!

Lindsey said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!!! It's 10 times worse on the East Coast, not only am I considered ridiculously lazy for being "just a mom" but I am stupid for having kids so young...HELLO, I am 25!!!

I will have to read that book, I have heard its great!

RonElaine said...

I've been curious about this book. I hate to listen to her on the radio, but loved reading The Proper Care & Feeding of Husbands, so I assumed I'd like this one, too.

Although I didn't recieve much flack for quiting work (ironincally the person who gives me the most grief is my mother-in-law), I did get a lot of questions about getting my bachelors. "Why get a degree if your just going to waste it?" Waste what?!! I use it everyday and I want to be an educated Mommy, how else will I teach my children anything?

There is a great article in the Ensign (a few years ago - maybe 2005 or 2006) titled, "Why Not Stay at Home and be Smart?", which is excellent!

I was at Women's Conference at BYU one year (before I had kids, so it's been a few) and one of the speakers was talking about this subject and she challenged that when we are asked what we do that instead of answering "just a stay at home mom" that we state, "I am a mother". I really liked it and have tried to do so every time I am asked because I think we are unintentionally down-playing the role of motherhood when we say "just", as if it's not an adequate job or something.

Candace said...

AMEN!! I went through, and continue to get occasional flack, for choosing to complete just one year of nursing school (which still got me my LPN!) so I could be a MOMMY!! I'll have to get my hands on that book. We SAHM needs all the positive reinforcement we can get!!

Rappleye Family said...

That was sweet Erin. I agree 100%

Nicole said...

Thats awesome!! Your guys family pic is so cute!! Sorry I couldn't babysit the other day but please ask us again if you ever need someone!! We would love to!!