Baby Updates!

First off, I just want to say “Congratulations!” to Jaron and Bethany! We found out today that they are having a little girl. Bethany is due in May, which makes our babies being born only about a month apart. I’m so excited! I grew up with girl cousins around my age, and I’m excited Kate will have the same experience!

As for me, I am now 24 weeks! That puts me in my six month of pregnancy! It won’t be long now, which is both really exciting and a little scary. According to my book the baby is now 1½ pounds and about 8 inches long.

Our collection of baby stuff is growing. We now have a crib (with the cute bedding I bought), a stroller, a car seat, some clothes (not a lot, just some that I saw and said “I have to have that!”) some blankets, and one of those baby bouncer things. It’s definitely becoming more real every day.

The biggest development is that the baby has started kicking….a lot! As I’m writing this, I can actually see my belly moving because she is kicking (or punching, not really sure) so hard. Dustin has finally been able to feel the kicks as well, which increases his anticipation. He is so excited to be a daddy. He’ll say (at least once a day) “I wish Kate were here already!” He really will be a great Dad, and it eases my apprehensions about motherhood a little.

Here’s the most recent picture of me and my belly. It’s not the best picture, I actually think you can see my belly better in the Foree family picture in my last post.Because I work at night, and Dustin plays basketball in the evenings, we are unable to attend a birthing class. That our excuse anyway, I'd rather do the research ourselves. I found a Lamaze class on DVD that I’m going to purchase, but does anybody know any good books that can help us prepare for this?

7 comments:

RonElaine said...

I'd recommend the Bradly Method (not Husband coached, just the regular). Even though it is a "natural" childbirth book, it helped me understand the progression of childbirth and things that Ron could do to help during labor. All good info, even if you plan on getting an epidural. I'd also recommed reading up about breastfeeding if you are planning on that (but I don't have any good books to suggest). With Liah I read everything I could find and the practice of breastfeeding was much more difficult than I had anticipated, but all my previous knowledge helped me know when to contact a lactation consultant for help before things got really bad.

My most favorite baby book is called "The Baby Book" by Dr. William & Martha Sears. I know they have published a breastfeeding book, but I haven't read it. That's where I'd go first.

RonElaine said...

I forgot to say that I LOVE your cute shirt! You look great - it's so exciting to feel that baby move more and more, especially for Dads.

Kourtney Dawn said...

Take the lamaze class, I hear its really worth it, I wouldn't know, I've never taken one!!!! So I am really nervous about this one because I don't want an epidural, not worth it last time!!! Good luck, you look so cute!!!

Lindsey said...

Hey Erin, thanks for leaving me a comment, it has been fun looking at your blog. I am so excited for you to be a mom- baby girls are SO much fun!!!
I don't really have any birth book suggestions, but I definitely agree with the breastfeeding book. That has been the hardest part of being a mom...and no one warned me it could be hard. My friend liked the bookThe Nursing Mother's Companion, by Katherine Huggins. I would also not worry too much about the childbirth class, especially if you are doing an epidural. We watched a netflix dvd (mainly so my hubby wouldn't freak out in the delivery room) and that was it.
You look GREAT!!!

RonElaine said...

We got an exerpt from The Nursing Mothers Companion in the hospital (same book Lindsey is talking about) and I was flipping through it today and I really like it. I even thought of purchasing it, even though we've had zero problems this time. I just thought it seemed like a good book to have for refrence. If you do purchase it, let me know how you like it.

*~Brittnee~* said...

Congradulations! I'm glad that I found you guys. I haven't seen Jaron or Dustin for such a long time. Just so you know Erin.... lol... they used to bbsit me and Sherice! Congradulations again!

Kay said...

You look cute pregnant! At least you're passed the awkward "I'm really pregnant-even though I just look fat" phase. It's depressing.