So...
I made a quilt.
I was in my sewing room the other day looking at all my scrap fabric and decided that I wanted to make a quilt for baby boy Watson.
I looked on Pinterest and quickly found the tutorials that I needed. http://www.diaryofaquilter.com/p/beginning-quilting-series.html
I did not buy any fancy quilting tools prior to making this. I hand cut all those squares just by laying a square card I had on the fabric and cutting around it. Haha. I'm pretty lazy when I'm sewing or crafting. I didn't measure or mark the fabric, I just did it. If I had, I'm sure I would have run into far less problems on keeping my squares lined up and my lines straight. Oh well, lesson learned. I will take my time next time.
The hardest part for me was "basting" the quilt (pinning all three layers prior to quilting). It was really hard to get all the layers smooth and wrinkle free. Quilting it actually wasn't too bad, my thread kept breaking which was really annoying, but other than that it was fine. I took the easy way of quilting this time, just sewing along my seams. I figured since it was my first quilt that I shouldn't try anything fancy.
I also tried to take another shortcut and bought quilt binding at the craft store. I rounded the corners of my quilt because I thought that bias tape binding was supposed to help go around curves? Well, I will definitely not be doing that next time. I don't like the way it looks, and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't keep it from puckering around the corners. I will suck it up and just make my own binding and miter the corners (it just looked confusing and hard on the tutorial, so I tried to take the easy way out).
Anyway, here is the finished product:
Though there are a lot of flaws to it, I'm still pretty proud of it. It's the first quilt I've made after all, I can't be too hard on myself! It's soft and puffy and I love all the bright colors. My baby will look really cute laying on it :)
1 year ago

No comments:
Post a Comment