My kids are both asleep at the moment, so I finally have a little bit of spare time to sit down and blog. So here's a general update on me, my kids, and our lives as a family of four.
Adjusting to life with two kids has been a tricky one for me. Not so much caring for two children, but the lack of sleep that it brings. I can be super cranky when I don't sleep and I lose my patience very quickly. But the past few nights Max has been waking up every 3 hours to eat instead of every 2, so it's been getting better. I'm also almost 3 weeks recovered from surgery as well so that makes a huge difference in how I feel too. I also can get the kids to both nap at the same time, which allows me to take a nap too, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be surviving without that.
Two Friday nights ago (July 29th), Dustin and I experienced the scariest night of our lives as parents. Kate woke up crying and struggling to breathe. She was having an asthma attack. I had always wondered if Kate had asthma, but this was her first full blown attack. After putting some vapor rub on her and trying to get her to calm down for awhile, I remembered that my neighbor had one of those breathing machines. So I called her at 11:30pm and I'm so glad she was awake! She brought over her machine and we gave her a treatment. Dustin called Jaron, and he came over and gave Kate a blessing. I'm so grateful for the power of the priesthood! Kate really calmed down after that and was able to sleep in her daddy's arms. Although Dustin didn't sleep much.
She is doing much much better now. We took her to the doctor a few days later and he said that although he can't technically call it "asthma" until kids are at least 5 years old, he did definitely hear some wheezing in her lungs. He gave us our own breathing machine to take home and a prescription for albuterol and we've been giving Kate treatments 3 times a day ever since. I can still hear a little congestion in her lungs, but she's back to her normal happy self and I am so grateful for that.
Max is doing good as well. He gained back all his birth weight and more. He weighed 8 lbs 4 oz when we went to the doctor. He is a very good baby and spends most of his time sleeping. He looks a lot like Kate did at this age (I'll have to post pictures later), but he's primarily Dustin's little boy. He definitely has Dustin's feet, hands, arms, legs and chin. He has my nose, round face and ears. His eyes seem to be getting a little bit lighter and bluer but it's still way to early to see if they'll stay that way. He is such a cutie! I love him so much.
Kate LOVES her baby brother. I really need to catch her interaction with him on video. She'll come up to him and say, "Awwww he's so TINY" in a high pitched voice, then she'll laugh and hug or kiss him. Then when Max moves she'll scream and laugh. She loves to hold him and "pet" (burp) him. She is a pretty big helper most of the time, although she does loves to steal his blankets.
So although sometimes I feel like I'm nothing but a diaper changing/baby holding/nursing machine, I'm loving life with both my babies.
We are very blessed.
1 year ago

1 comment:
Welcome to life with 2! It really is so crazy the first 3 or 4 months, but oh, so much easier. Take that nap, no matter what - it is a life saver. We think about you all the time. Glad to hear things (for the most part) are going well.
Post a Comment