Kate's Song

Yesterday was a bad day.

Kate threw temper tantrum after temper tantrum, and would cry over every little thing. Last night was the first night since Kate was a newborn that I sat down and sobbed out of frustration and exhaustion. To top it all off, she woke up not once, not twice, but 5 times last night! Needless to say I am exhausted today, and I'm very glad I was able to take a nap.

Today I noticed that she's cutting another tooth. So at least there is an explanation to yesterday's madness.

I tell you all this because I did want you to know that Kate does have an "off" switch, even though it might not last very long. When she is uncontrollable, I will hold her close and start to sing her song. I've sung it to her ever since she was a newborn, and let me tell you-- it has magic powers.



If you watched Sesame Street as a kid like I did, you might recognize it. It's "I'd Like to Visit the Moon" by Ernie. It's a song I always liked, and when my brothers and sister were little I taught them to sing it one summer while I played my guitar (badly). It has always stuck with me, and I'll probably never forget it.

Yesterday I probably sang this song to Kate about 7 times. When she gets sad or angry all I have to do is start singing this song, and she will calm down immediately and listen. See? Magic. Sometimes the magic only lasts until the end of the song, but at least it's about a minute and a half of peace. More times than not though, it will calm her down completely.

I wanted to blog about this because it's something that's really sentimental to me and it needed to be written somewhere. It's a tender moment between us and I want to remember it before she gets older and won't let me sing it to her anymore.

Who knows how many more times I get to sing it?



Photobucket

5 comments:

Petersens said...

I'm so sorry about yesterday! Thats really sweet with that song though.

Alicia said...

That is a song we sing to our kids too! I love it! :)

Steven and Jennifer said...

Nice to know I'm not the only mom that gets frustrated! That is very sweet hope that tooth comes through soon for her.

Wendy said...

You are such a good mommy!

Wendy said...

Okay....so I just watched the video and am now crying. I miss all my babies.