I finally did it. I bought the camera I've been wanting for approximately 5.75 years. It's a Canon Rebel XSi, and I friggin LOVE it! It came in the mail today, and I wasted no time in getting it out of the box and putting it to use.





This last one is my favorite. It totally captures her silly personality.

Obviously, I still have a lot to learn, so any tips would be greatly appreciated! I know there are at least 5 photographers out there who read this blog, and I am eager to hear any advice you might have!
7 comments:
Ooooh, so pretty! I can't wait to see more pics!
Oh man how life flies by. Seems like just yesterday you got married. Kate is SO cute!!!
Great pictures! Have fun with your camera. I won't say that I am so jealous (but I am). I'll just say I am so happy for you and wish I had one too.
Can't wait to see you on Saturday!
Kate gets cuter by the second. And.......she has hair! YAY! (well more than she had before, you know what I mean)
Yay!!! New toys are always fun. These pictures are way cute and I'd say you're well on your way to taking some great pictures.
A couple of suggestions...
1. Learn how to use manual mode ASAP! It will change your life... and your pictures. K, maybe not your life, but it will definitly improve your pictures!
2. Because you have photoshop and it's easy to convert for you, shoot in RAW vs. JPEG. It will give you more freedom to manipulate your pictures in photoshop. However, you'll run out of storage space quickly, so store RAW files on an external hard drive or DVD's.
3. Try not to chop hands and feet. For example, in #3 her hands are considered "chopped" because you can see most of her arm, but hands are cut off. If the majority of the arm or leg is showing, include the hands or feet.
4. Read up on exposure, white balance, and spot metering.
5. Best time to shoot lighting wise is within 2 hours of sunset. The ULTIMATE lighting hits 30 minutes before sunset. Place your subject with their back to the sun (not quite directly... but so there's no sun on the face). Then shoot. You'll get great results.
6. If you want your colors to really pop, nail your exposure and your white balance. Then add some contrast (not too much) in photoshop. It will pop like crazy! Sometimes you'll need to erase contrast off the skin. If you learn how to use layer masks it makes it really easy to erase an effect.
K, there's just a few. If you have any questions and you think I might know the answer, feel free to ask!!
Yay! congrats! that is so exciting
I am so jealous!!!!! Enjoy! Your pictures look great! I love that last shot. It is precious and I love the sun spots (don't know what that is called) but I love that effect!
P.S. Does your CS version of photoshop come with the program Bridge? If so, you should be able to work with RAW files.
Post a Comment