6 month checkup

Kate had her 6 month checkup on Tuesday. Here are her current stats:

Height: 27.75 inches
Weight: 18lbs 13oz
Head circumference: 17 1/4"

She's such a big baby! She's in the 90th percentile for BOTH height and weight. She had to get three shots this time, which was not fun for her or me. I just hate seeing her in pain, I always tear up a little. And yes, I did decide to give her the H1N1 vaccine. I really talked it over with my doctor. At her 4 month appointment I asked him about it and he said not to worry, the media always overhypes things. But at this appointment his tone changed. He's seen SUCH an outbreak here in the valley that he and all his children got the vaccine even though they never got flu shots before. So after thinking about it, I finally came to the conclusion that the vaccine can't possibly be worse than her actually catching the swine flu. Also, I really trust my doctor. I know he wouldn't advise me to do it unless he thought it was really important. Kate was kind of tired after her shots, but was back to our normal happy healthy baby by the evening!

Which brings me to my next question.

Shouldn't my 6 month old be sleeping through the night?

I remember when she was about 2 months old she used to sleep through the night, and I thought I was so lucky! haha. Well, not so much anymore. Waking up once is fine, but lately she's been waking up like 3 or 4 times. Just last night I put her to bed at 8:30, she woke up at 9:30. I kept her up a little bit to make sure she was really tired and put her back to bed around 10:30. She woke up at 12:30, I fed her and put her back to bed. She woke up at 2:30, I fed her and put her back to bed. She woke up at 4:30, and I fed her and put her back to bed! Holy crap! Is she just going through a growth spurt or something? She really shouldn't be hungry, I fed her 2 jars of baby food and breastfed her before putting her to sleep. I think last weekends trip just really through her off schedule. But to be honest, she started doing this even before we went to Utah. So I guess I can't really blame it on that.

I have no problem putting her to sleep. But how do you help her to stay asleep?


And no, this is not a side effect of vaccinations. :) haha. I know some of you were probably thinking that (Mom)! She's been sleeping like this for more than a week now, and I'm getting pretty tired!




Photobucket

8 comments:

Alicia said...

Sometimes babies just do crazy things like wake up three times during the night. Lacy still wakes up once every night. She gets out of bed and walks to the couch and goes back to sleep on it. I tried to move her the other night and she started muttering, "Santa Clause..." So now I know what she's dreaming about! Ha ha!

Something that helped me with Lacy was using the Johnson and Johnson nighttime baby bath and lotion set. You probably already use it -it smells so good! And as soon as she starts using sippy cups, put one full of water in bed with her. That saved my life with Lacy. She's never been a good sleeper.

Good luck! She's soooooo adorable.

RonElaine said...

All babies go through sleep regressions, usually because of things like growth spurts, developmental milestones (crawling, walking, talking, etc) and let us not forget TEETHING! Even thought they CAN sleep through the night doesn't mean they WILL. Anna still wakes up once a night for sure (usually about 4 or 4:30), but sometimes more. Just depends on the day.

Are you guys in your new house yet? Even if not, she may be waking up because she's picking up on all the stress of packing and moving. Maliah always did (we have moved 3 times since she was born). And it always takes them a bit to acclimate to their new environment when you get there, too.

Sorry, no tricks here. Sometimes my girls will go to sleep better for Ron (like 5 min and they are out vs. 20 with me).

RonElaine said...

I forgot...

She is HUGE! I know I just saw her, but she seems so much smaller than Anna because she isn't walking yet, but seriously, Anna was about that weight at her 9 month appointment!

Sqeeze it up, I bet she'll be a skinny-minni once she does move around more.

Dayna said...

Oh man, welcome to my life! At least you got a few months of sleeping through the night with Kate. Jaxon never has! Well I take that back. Once he slept for 7 hours and I almost had a heart attack. Haha! So when you figure out the secret to sleeping through the night, let me know (:

Jessie and Byron said...

I know this may sound mean but by 6 months yes they should be sleeping through the night, some babies just get used to eating several times a night, so you have to just put them back to bed without feeding, they are not hungry they are just "USED" to getting fed, so maybe just try that! Good luck, I know it sounds mean, but try it, its hard though good luck!

RaCHELLE HuRD said...

I agree with Jessie, they do not need to eat during the night by 6 months. :/ She probably has forgotten how to put herself back to sleep when she stirs awake, and nursing and cuddling with mom is the pleasant alternative. :) Getting your baby to sleep is HARD! One of the most challenging things, I think. Tenley still regresses, and it is frustrating. But if I can commit to denying her a bottle, and deal with some fussing or crying for a night or two, she ALWAYS gets back to sleeping through the night. Unless, of course there is teething, illness, etc. Anywho... Good luck friend! Sorry you are so exhausted, I hope it gets better very soon!

Erin said...

I caved and got Ellie vaccinated for H1N1 too. I really didn't want to, but now I feel perfectly content with the choice I made.

About sleeping through the night... it's definitely tough love, but at 6 months my doc told me that they can go without eating for at least 8 hours and that it is ok to just let them cry it out until they learn to soothe themselves. It HONESTLY only takes a couple of nights for them to learn this. It was hard for me to do at first, but it seriously only took Ellie waking up 2-3 times for 20 minutes each the first night and then only waking up for 15 minutes once the second night. I never went in to her at all. I sat outside of her room and listened to make sure she was ok cause I was paranoid, but she would always just cry until she fell back asleep. It has been an ENTIRE YEAR of her sleeping through the night now, and before I did this she was one of those babies that woke up every couple of hours to eat. Best thing I ever did!!

Lindsey said...

I am with Erin. At 6 months my dr. told me the same thing. She has to get used to being able to put herself back to sleep. He said the only way they know how to "tell" time is between light and dark...so not to get her out of bed until it is light outside.

I wasn't a huge fan of just letting her scream, so I would go in after 5 minutes, pat her on the back, tell her I was just in the other room but she needed to sleep and leave (sounds much easier than it is...be STRONG!). Then wait 10 minutes, then 15, then 20.

The first night was terrible, but it got progressively better...and 3 nights later she slept through the night, and has every night since (with the exception of 2 nights when she woke up with a fever- but by then I knew something was wrong since it was so out of the norm).

It is so hard, but so much better for them (AND YOU!!!) in the long run.

Good luck!