I have a problem...

I have jury duty.

I would be happy to fulfill my civic duty, but I have a problem. I am nursing a 3 month old. And that breastfed baby WILL NOT take a bottle!

I'm not trying to wean her, I'm just trying to make sure she gets fed while I go to the Jury summons. Then I'll have to explain to the judge that there's just no possible way I could leave her for 2-4 days (standard superior court jury duty). Sorry America.

I don't want a repeat of when I went to Wicked. Poor thing wouldn't eat while I was gone!

I've tried three types of bottle nipples. The playtex drop ins, the standard one, and the one shaped like the NUK pacifiers. She hates them all.

I've tried nursing her a little, and then giving her the bottle. She just gets mad that I'm not giving her the real thing.

I originally got this jury summons back in May a couple weeks after I had had her. I should've just sent it in with an excuse, but instead I went online and postponed it instead. I guess I just thought that the situation might be different by now. That was dumb of me. And now it's too late, and I have to appear in court on Monday.

Anyway- does anybody have any suggestions on how to get Kate to take a bottle? Once again, I'm not trying to wean her, I just don't want her to be hungry while I'm gone.

--Okay I'm liking the suggestions about taking her with me to jury duty! But, what's plan B guys? I really don't think you're supposed to take a baby with you to jury duty. That's why not being able to find suitable care for your child qualifies as an excuse. Again, something I should have done, but was an idiot about. Give me a break I had just had a baby! Of course I wasn't thinking clearly! :) Now it's too late to send in an excuse.


Photobucket

13 comments:

Francie said...

take her with you...i would think that would make them dismiss you

RonElaine said...

LOL! I love that idea. Seriously, take her with you. I had a teacher once that REQUIRED us to be at an event outside of class and I took Liah (then 6 months). Act as if its totally normal for you to bring her - BECAUSE IT IS! She's a baby for crying out loud. I'm getting kind of passionate about this...I need to stop commenting on your blog, I tend to talk a lot. Feel free to tell me to be quiet!

Can't you claim some type of hardship?

I had jury duty when I was prego one time and I'm sure they dismissed me on that fact alone - not in a discriminatory way, but because they knew I wouldn't be able to be fair (trial was a drunk driving case that killed a child).

As for the bottle - kiss it good bye. Those babes know what they want and there is nothing us Mom's can do about it. Liah suddenly gave them up at 9 months and Anna doesn't take one now. Its easier to leave them if needed once they get bigger - you can feed them people food, she may take it from a sippy, or she'll just wait. When Liah was still nursing while I was at school, she just had to wait (12 months at the time) and she had no problems what-so-ever, as long as my boob and I were there to pick her up after school...Like I said, I need to stop talking on your blog!

p.s. how did your angel food cake go?

Erin said...

I could have claimed hardship when I first got the summons in may. But I was an idiot and postponed it instead. Which is basically saying "I will go, I just can't go now" so I'm stuck with going on Monday.

Our Ohana said...

I agree - just take her with you. maybe once you get there you can explain your situation and you won't even have to stay for the whole time.

:o)

Deven and Britany Dicus said...

Try the nipples that they give you in the hospital, after trying like 10 nipples that's the only one Avery would take and it still took her a few minutes every time to figure it out! I couldn't find them anywhere but there so you may just have to go to labor and delivery and ask for a few. They're disposable but I think they're fine to use a few times. Good luck!

Alicia said...

Eek. That is a tough one. I know you aren't supposed to take her, but if you have no choice, you can't let her starve. Situations change over the course of a few months so there is no way to say that you would be available when they "postponed" it either.

That said, there is a bottle (can't for the life of me remember the brand) that has a nipple shaped like a breast. It makes the baby suck at it and it fills up with milk that then the baby can drink from. I know that is a terrible explanation. I am sure you can find it at Babies R Us but I am not sure about anywhere else. That is worth a shot I guess. Weston used that when I was working. You can try having whoever is feeding her hold her like she would be held while breastfeeding and see if that helps (although I guess it might make her even more upset).

I know what you mean though. Natalie bit me really hard so I had to get a nipple guard while I let myself heal. She screamed and fought it so much. She REFUSED to even come close to that guard. So, I just sucked it up and the dumb thing is still not healed. So, I guess I am not much help in trying to get them to take a bottle. I will say however, that she will take a bottle if she is starving enough. They usually just force some of the milk into her mouth and eventually she gets the hint.

Good luck!!

Shandi said...

Have you actually been picked to stay and listen to the case or you just have to go and wait to see if you have been picked? Cause if you haven't been picked you can still tell them that you can't stay. It happened to Scott when we were in Tuscon. Good Luck.

Dayna said...

I have no suggestions about the jury duty thing. Sorry. But I am actually having the opposite problem. I nursed Jax for the first week he was born. He did great. Then all of a sudden he refused to latch on and became a breastfeeding monster! So I still want him to have breastmilk so I have been pumping and giving him a bottle the last week. Bah. It sounds like we need a little of each others luck right now!

Alicia said...

I found it!
http://www.target.com/First-Years-Breastflow-Bottle-oz/dp/B000UFWRX8

Alicia said...

I had this exact same problem a few months ago. You can take her. My mom did that once, and they dismissed her. Even if you had sent your summons back in with the excuse, you'd probably still get summoned. Danny was summoned in Maricopa county (where he doesn't live), and he sent his summons back telling them 1) he didn't live there and 2) he's a cop and they still summoned him. After a few angry hours on the phone, it all got straightened out. While you're there, they'll ask if anyone has any medical reason that they can't be a juror. Just raise your hand and tell them you're nursing an infant that will not take a bottle of any kind.
Good luck, m'dear.

Wendy said...

Please take her with you. I do not want my granddaughter to starve. You have every right to show up with her. If you left her with someone you could be 2 hours or more and she would not be eating. Explain to the Judge that that is why you brought her. Have FAITH! It will be fine. Please, please, please, take her with you.
love you....mom

Lindsey said...

I didn't read the rest of the comments, so if this is a repeat, sorry. I used a nipple shield the first month of nursing because Kerrigan's poor mouth was too tiny to latch on. ANYWAY, it is plastic, and you stick it on your nipple and they nurse...maybe it would help her transition to a bottle. Maybe call your dr and see if you could thicken your breastmilk with cereal enough to spoon feed her? Or just keep trying the bottle, I would guess if she got hungry enough she would drink out of anything (sounds mean, but that's what I had to do to get her to nurse instead of drink out of a bottle!) That's all I have...

RaCHELLE HuRD said...

Erin,
First, I am soo sorry you are going through this! It is awful, and sooo stressful! Baby can sense your frustration, and it makes it all the harder. :( I am going to share with you the things that I've found through trial & error, take it or leave it :)...
-The nuk nipples flow comes out really fast, even the "slow" ones. Breastfed babies don't like that! :) They like to go at their own pace. My baby fiiinally took Avent, with their slowest flow. I've also heard good things about that breast-replica-bottle your friend was telling you about. But in my case, a bottle was a bottle & she refused them all.
-Breast shield. I had the same thought as Lindsey.. try the breast shield until she nurses for like maybe an ounce, and then pull away and give her the bottle, see what she does. :) Maybe even have Dustin feed her at that point, and wrap her in one of your dirty shirts that smells like you. :)
-BUT this is what I resorted to-- breast milk mixed very thin with rice cereal, fed to her out of a baby tylenol syringe! The babysitter would just squirt little bits in her cheek, enough to satisfy her hunger pains until I could get back to nurse her. She eventually got to where she'd take it out of a silicon top sippy cup... and then we transitioned to the breast milk in bottle. Ahhh, nuts!
If you can't get out of Jury Duty, I hope with all my heart you find something that works for you!! People are right, she won't starve forever, but that doesn't mean it's easy on whoever is babysitting! I wish I lived close to you, I would volunteer to watch her.. I have developed a very patient understanding for this situation! I went through it with mine, and babysitting my niece a couple of times. Are you on my facebook? Message me there if you have any questions. :) Good luck, girly!