
Kate's entrance into this world was one long journey!
We arrived at the hospital Monday evening at 8:00 ready to be induced. After determining that I still hadn't progressed at all (I was still in between closed and one centimeter) they decided to get things started with cervicol(?) and contractions started about an hour later. My contractions came quickly and were pretty strong, so we tried comfort measures like sitting on the birthing ball, massage etc. Then around 5:00 am they checked me again and I was at a 3. Progress, but not a lot, so I decided to take a shower. I had heard that this really helps you dilate. So I took a shower for about an hour, and by the time I was done I was in PAIN. Then I caved and asked for the epidural. The nurse did not check me again before we did this, because she was pretty positive that everything was fine and that I had progressed more while in the shower. I received my epidural (YAY), but it slowed my labor down. Or, I was just having a slow labor anyway.
I stayed at a 3 for about 10 hours! My contractions were adequate, I was just not progressing. They even broke my water and nothing really happened. Then just when my doctor was contemplating a c-section, I progressed to 5 centimeters, so they wanted to let me keep going. So I did.
Well, by 10:00pm I still had not progressed past 5 centimeters, so my doctor decided to go ahead and do a c-section. I was never more grateful to hear anything in my entire life! I was so frustrated and exhausted, and my epidural hadn't been working correctly for about 2 hours. I was not a happy camper. I had the anesthesiologist come in twice to give me extra pain medication. The little extra shots would work for about 30 minutes, and then I'd be back in full pain. I don't know why he didn't check my epidural to see how it was functioning, but he didn't. And later he got yelled at by the anesthesiologist who did my spinal.
By this time I had been in labor for a full 24 hours. I was READY for the surgery. After I got my spinal, I was the happiest I'd been ALL day. I was just so relived to be done, and so excited for my baby to finally be here! My doctor got the baby out very quickly, and Kate was born at 10:44pm.
Even though it was long and stressful, it was a wonderful experience! We love our daughter so much!
5 comments:
I love it! I'm so glad you all are doing well. She really is sooooooooooooooooo adorable!
She looks just like both of you! She's a perfect mix. I love hearing delivery stories. It's such an exciting time - even when you're going through crappy 24+ hours of labor! Good job though. You guys will be such great parents.
she is so darling! congratulations and good work!
Oh man, that sounds like you wouldn't want to repeat that. Congrats on going so long without the epidural. That is way frustrating. That's kind of what my little Garth did to. She sure is a cutie though. Love ya!
Oh man, Im sorry it was rough, it so hard, I did my labor totally without an epidrural so I know how you feel, (it wasn't my choice to not have one, but the freaking doctor in safford ruined it, didn';t do it right,) so all natural baby!!! Good job, she is beautiful!!
Post a Comment