New Issue

Thanks to everyone for your great advice! It's so funny because right after I wrote that post Kate developed a new, more worrisome sleeping habit.

Since she learned how to roll over back to front yesterday, she now does it in her sleep! Only she doesn't roll front to back yet, so she gets stuck! This woke her up twice last night, but there were other times when she didn't wake up and I had to roll her over myself. So it seems that I'm going to make her practice front-to-back rolling, or I may never get a good nights sleep again! haha.

I have heard about that monitor that a couple of you mentioned, I will probably have to purchase one of those. Are they expensive?

Or I might try Alicia's idea of elevating on side of the mattress so she can't roll.

Or I might just start having her sleep next to me (like we do at naptime) because she doesn't roll then.

Thanks again everybody! If you have any more ideas or advice I would love to hear them!

Photobucket

7 comments:

Candace said...

Erin,
I feel your anxiety!! BOTH my kids slept TERRIBLY on their backs and didn't like to be swaddled so it was the tummy for them. I was SO paranoid about it, too! With our 2nd I happened to find an AngelCare Movement Sensor & Baby Monitor at a 2nd hand store for cheap. Here's a link from Amazon: http://bit.ly/11URhI

You'd certainly have to pay a lot more than I did if you bought it new....but I think I still would have dished out the money for the peace of mind it brought me & Jonathan!

The alarm sounds if it doesn't detect movement (including breathing) for 20 seconds. It was SO sensitive to movement that if we turned on the ceiling fan above the bed the monitor would detect the breeze and the alarm WOULDN'T go off! So we could never turn on a ceiling fan with the baby in the bed.

One thing you'd have to get used to is turning OFF the monitor as soon as you get her up because it WILL go off after 20 seconds. Another "inconvienience" is that we had to buy a Masonite board to put under the mattress because the sensor has to lay on a FLAT surface, and not just the springy part. We had to make sure it fit in the Pack N' Play, too, so we could bring it on trips.

SO....Despite the cost and those "cons" I mentioned....I STILL highly recommend it! GOOD LUCK!

Dayna said...

Haha I am probably the most paranoid Mom. I don't like Jaxon to even be the least bit uncomfortable! I'm glad you are having these issues before me so that I can use your advice later!

Alicia said...

I don't know how much the monitor mentioned costs, but you might also want to look in AMBY baby. If I had known about it when Lacy had colic, I would have paid any amount to have it. The baby sleeps in it, and it's like a hammock for a baby. I know Amber C Hancock used one with Reese, so she would know more about it.

*~Brittnee~* said...

Brynlee has started to roll too but not in her sleep and i think i know why. She sleeps in her own crib 1/2 the night right now and when i put her in her bed at the begining of the night she wakes up unless I tuck her between the bumper and her daddy pillow. This gives her comfort as if being held and also prevents her from rolling over in her bed... this is just what i do. I also have a baby moniter so I can hear if she wakes up which she does between 1 and 3 am and then won't go back to sleep unless she is cuddle up in my bed lol so yeah thats what me and Brynlee do right now.

RonElaine said...

Both my girls always sleep on their sides. Liah had reflux and I was always afraid she'd choke if she threw-up while sleeping, so I put her on her side. And I was paranoid about that flat head babies get if left in the same position too long.

I was way worried when she started half-rolling. I was so afraid she'd suffocate. I really have no advice about how to relieve this, but just know that ALL mom's feel this way. And we all just keep getting up whenever they fuss and turn them over. Thankfully, my girls go right back to sleep when that happens.

The good news is that this phase seems to pass quickly and pretty soon she'll know how to roll the other direction and it won't be such a big worry. And, both my grils sleep more soundly when on their bellies, so once they master rolling, we all seem to get more sleep.

I think it will always be a mom worry - even though I had less anxiety about it the 2nd time around, I still check on Anna multiple times before we go to bed for the night. And even during the night, I'll wake up if she's being too quiet. Crazy, I know. If I have to go to the bathroom, or Liah wakes up, or if I have to get up for ANY reason, I check on Anna before going back to bed. I don't even think about it - just wander to the crib, barely awake and make sure I can feel her breathing, and see her little nose to make sure it's not smooshed by something.

Lindsey said...

This is the monitor we have

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2660328

We love it and it gives us (ahem, me-Jared sleeps through ANYTHING!!!) such peace of mind.

It's $119, but it is worth it. The only bad thing is I don't know how you would use it in the playpen. It has to be on a hard surface and I don't know where the power cord would go in a playpen.

Wendy said...

I have heard that babies sleeping in the bed with you 'can' be just as dangerous. I know, I know, alot of people do it. I was always afraid that one of us would roll over on you or you would get squished up against a pillow or shoulder blade. The couple of times we tried it....I was awake the whole time, full of worry. It was not worth it. You were though,
in arms reach of my side of the bed (in bassinet or playpen) so I could check on you frequently during the night. The baby moniter thing sounds like a good idea. The hammock thing I showed to you while you were pregnant, and if I would have had the money (expensive) I would have bought it for you. Congratulations you are a mother!! One of our jobs is to worry. Sorry, and just to let you know...it never goes away even when your babies are grown.
love you