A question...

Does anybody know how to make these adorable headbands? I've seen them on some of your daughters before, so somebody should know either where to get them or how to make them. I haven't found them in stores, and I was looking online tonight and I found some really cute boutiques, but $10 for a headband? I know... I'm super cheap. I'm thinking $5 or less is reasonable for me. Can anybody help me?

12 comments:

Krystin said...

i would love to learn how to make them, but i think it's a "special" sewing machine.... i got mine off of ebay.. for about a dollar per headband. type in "crochet baby headband." you might have to buy in bulk...i got a lot of 5. anyway, they are supercute on! so much fun looking for girlie stuff, just set a budget! hah

*~Brittnee~* said...

My friend in Snowflake loves these and her friend makes them... they are pretty cute!
http://qtpiebows.blogspot.com/

Kay said...

A friend of mine makes them, not professionally, but for her baby and she told me that she just takes a head band, or an amount of stretch lace and measures it to her baby's head(this means if you use the strech headbands from the store you might have to sew them to shorten them, although they do sell the strech ones in the baby section...). She said after she has all the headbands she wants, she buys the flowers to match and then hot glues them to clips, like the flip clips or the ones that are kind of long but open when you pinch the end. That way, she can attach a flower to any head band she wants. Good luck!

Bo never let me put the head bands on our first, so I had to resort to gluing bows to her head(using a glue stick, it washes off in the bath - some people say to use Karo syrup, but it's just sticky, and the glue doesn't hurt them), I just made my own little bows out of ribbon. Just another idea.

Deven and Britany Dicus said...

I don't know how to make the headband, I just got mine at the Farmers Market for about $1 or $2.

The flowers I just buy at a craft store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby, take them off the stem and take the middle out then use scrapbooking brads to put through the middle and attatch to a clip. Then I just mix and match the flowers and headbands. So fun! Good Luck!

Samantha said...

I found some that were like my size at the dollar store...but I thought I'd try them on Kaylin and they FIT!! So maybe try the dollar store...IDK??

Our Ohana said...

Do you know Erin Householder?? She makes hers for Ellie ... you could ask her how she does it.

RonElaine said...

Here are all the links I have for hair things. I wanted to learn how to make things for my girls because they are SO expensive and I figured I could make them for a lot less.

This summer was filled with travel, moving and now we have a new baby, so I have yet to actually try any of these techniques. Let me know how it goes if you give them a shot, I'd love to know!

www.hairbowholders.com

This how-to could be improved by not lining the clip that sits next to the hair, or using some of that plastic shelf liner on the underside of the clip so it doesn't slip out.
http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-line-alligator-clips-for-hairbows

http://www.instructables.com/id/Curlykorker-Hair-Bows/

http://www.theribbonretreat.com/custom/free_projects.aspx

This lady's blog has cute hair styles for girls and TONS of links on her sidebar for other hair related things!
http://shedoeshair.blogspot.com/

You could also check out Etsy, I've found lots of things there that I know I could recreate myself.

Good luck!

Jessie and Byron said...

There is a store called "ribbons and bows" on gilbert and something, I could find out if you want and they offer a class I think its like 10 dollars and they teacah you to make ALL diffrent kinds! Congrats on the baby anywyas, I havent seen you in a long time!

Anonymous said...

you never see them on my little girl because since about four months old, she will not leave them on her head. Dang thing! I'm not much help though, because I got mine for a couple bucks each at a store when they were on clearance.

Lindsey said...

So I didn't read any of the other comments, so if this is a repeat sorry!
I buy flowers from Michaels and pull the stem off and the middle out and hot glue the layers together. Or you can buy brads (usually in the scrapbook section)to bind the middle together. I like to glue buttons or some bling to the middle for an accent if I don't use a brad. You can also do the same thing with silk scapbooking flowers. Then I glue them onto alligator clips (I like the single prong that I bought on ebay-like $5 for 50).
One thing I have noticed...for pictures big flowers are way cute (I had huge flowers for her newborn pics-so cute)...but for everyday wear at the beginning, smaller flowers work better. I made some small flowers first, then made some bigger ones. Even though I didn't think they were very big, some of them just look silly for now-don't underestimate how small your newborns head will be!
I also bought crochet headbands on ebay- like 10 for $10. Or I make headbands with baby tights (sized at least 12 months). You cut the toes off and at the thigh and then sew the 2 ends together. Then you pull the thread really tight so that it bunches, and then wrap the thread around a few times and tie it off. Then wrap a piece of ribbon around the bunched part and glue it, leaving one side unglued so you can slide the clip through to attach it (hope that made sense).
WOW, that was long...let me know if any of that didn't make sense.

Also, for your last post...how was your heartrate? When I was 7 months my heartrate would get super fast, and it made me nauseous, dizzy and REALLY hot...I almost passed out. I went to the doctor, who refered me to a cardiologist. It turned out to be a normal pregnant thing, but if you think something is really wrong call your doctor...I felt kind of silly, but you can never be too safe when your baby is involved!

Jacob and Magen said...

I can get them here in utah way cheap and I know how to make the nylon type ones. Let me know. Also I can get the bows and flowers here. Utah Mormons like BIG FLOWERS on their kids Heads. hahaha

Mag

~Shina~ said...

I FOUND A STORE THAT HAS THESE!!! Well kinda similar....Fieta Mall, a family owned business right by sears upstairs. Totally forgot the name though. You can't miss it. It's like a 5 year old's very own DILLARDS! :) haha