28 weeks

I have officially entered into my last trimester! It’s hard to believe that in just 12 short weeks Dustin and I will be parents! Here are some pictures of how big I am. They are not the best pictures, but it’s hard to take a good picture of yourself! I’ve gotten comments like “Wow, you must be almost done!” to which I reply, “Not for another 3 months”. Or the most common one is “When is your baby due?” and when I say “Not until April” people look a little shocked and confused.

I am afraid of how big I’ll be by then. I’m already having difficulty doing normal things. I waddle when I walk, and the stairs up to my apartment are getting harder to climb. Things at work are getting harder too. I’m short, so coloring and cutting hair is already a challenge for me, but lately my belly has been literally bumping into clients! I do love working, but in a month or so, I probably won’t be able to reach my clients!

Other than those complaints, I’m still feeling great! I still have energy (most of the time), and I still feel like I can do most things. Dustin and I are going to take one last trip together this weekend. We’re going to San Diego! I’m very excited.

Things are looking good on the medical side too, the baby is doing well, and we have another ultrasound scheduled in 2 weeks. Unfortunately, I did have to get tested for gestational diabetes. Everyone gets screened for it around 28 weeks, but my basic test came back too high, so I had to return for another one. It was brutal. It takes 3 hours. When you arrive at the lab, they draw your blood. They then have you drink a really sweet liquid (it tasted like sno-cone syrup). Then they draw your blood every hour for three hours. On top of it all, you have to be fasting. No food or drink. So, people that know me know how much anxiety I have about doctors, hospitals, and needles. I have to have Dustin with me every time because I almost pass out every time. Add not eating on top of that (I get light headed when I don’t eat anyway)-- I was terrified I was not going to make it through this test. But Dustin gave me a blessing that morning, and I ended up doing just fine. I did have to go in a back room and lie down once, but other than that I did okay. Afterward we celebrated with all-you-can-eat pancakes at IHOP. I don’t know the results yet, but I’ll keep everyone posted.

Dustin and I are preparing ourselves as much as we can. I don’t know why (maybe it was all those years of writing research papers for Mrs. Platt), but I like to do my research. I bought a lot of good books off Amazon. The Baby Book, The Birth Book, and The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears, The Nursing Mothers Companion by Kathleen Huggins, and the No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. We also purchased a childbirth class on dvd. I work at night, so finding a time to take an actual class would have been difficult. Plus, the dvd was $30 and the actual classes were $65. It’s also nice because you can freak out at home instead of in a room full of strangers. The lady on the dvd is a little cheesy but it’s been really informative so far.

We’re slowly getting everything we need for the baby. We still need some bigger things like a mattress for the crib, a changing table, etc. The one thing we do have is clothes! Of course we can always use more, but I’m feeling pretty good in that department. When my mom and sister came to visit two weeks ago, we went to Once Upon A Child. It’s a second hand store, but most the stuff there is really nice and hardly used. They were having a 60% off sale that Saturday. So we ended up getting outfits for about $2 a piece!



I also got a lot of clothes from a co-worker of mine. So here’s a picture of all the clothes getting sorted and organized. She now has at least 5 outfits in every size.

We are so excited that she is almost here! Let’s just hope she is cuter than this:
Scary right? And what’s with the duck costume?

9 comments:

RonElaine said...

haha - that baby picture is ridiculous!

I remember people assuming I was due "any day" and it was really like 10+ weeks away. It's a weird thing when your belly starts bumping into things and you can't get into a bathroom stall anymore. Good luck w/work - I bet your back/legs/feet are going to be super sore in the coming months. I was working when pregnant with Liah, but I was an office manager, so it was a sit-down job - nothing like standing and doing hair.

Have fun on your Babymoon! Ron & I went to Hawaii for ours and it was fabulous! We knew it would be a while before we could go away together again. We didn't have our first couple-only weekend until this past October, so Liah was over 2 and I was 28 weeks pregnant with Anna. It's just too hard to leave babies so small - and that's ok, but take advantage of the opportunity to "up and leave" with just your hubby and very little planning!

I forgot to tell you when you asked about child-birth classes that ours were taught at the hospital and they gave us a tour of the maternity floor and showed us where to check-in and which doors to come to depending upon what time of the day or night it you were coming, etc. They showed us how the monitors worked and all those types of things - lots of little details that were nice to know before we arrived to deliver. So, if you are concerned, you could ask your hospital if they would give you guys a tour so you'd know what to expect when you get there.

I hate the diabetes tests - they are disgusting! Ours are carbonated orange flavored drinks - they are aweful! They always make me want to puke all over - and to be fasting on top of that - UGH!!!! Sorry that you had to do it TWICE.

Dayna said...

I love your belly! You look so cute! ( I know you don't feel that way but I think so!) I'm excited to actually start showing at some point. I'm thirteen weeks and no one can even tell I am pregnant. I can't wait to at least have a baby bump that says yes my eggo is preggo! I'd like to skip the pudgy/ chubby stage though :) Good luck with everything! I hope all continues to go well. I love reading your blog because I'm starting to relate to the things that are going on!

Kay said...

Don't stress about how big you are, it's probably more in your head than anything. People's comments can get rude, you just have to take them and shrug it off.

I was a lot bigger with my first, than I am now, and I was having a girl then too. Your body is going to gain what it needs whether it's 25 pounds, and who really does that, or 60 pounds. A healthy baby is better than anything else!

Don't stress and enjoy this stage, it's hard because you're so excited for the baby but enjoy the last quite moments you have with your hubby, they don't last long! ☺

Alicia said...

That baby picture reminds me of How To Lose A Guy in 10 Days.

"We don't have any children!"

Alicia said...

Oh, and I didn't take any childbirthing classes of any kind. I read A LOT of stuff, and delivery went just fine.

Except for the pushing part.

And the pain part.

But other than that? Totally fine.

Mark said...

Dear Erin: You're foxy as a pregnant lady. It's so hard for me to think of you as a Mom. You'll do great. We're all praying for you, Dustin, and the baby.

Hang tough and be strong. You're joining the elite of the world bringing a child into the world in a stable and safe environment. Mothers in Zion are angels saved for the latter days. I'm proud of you. Dad.

Kourtney Dawn said...

I'm so excited for you!! I hope everything continues to go great!!!

Lindsey said...

You are almost there!!! If it makes you feel better, I had a growth spurt in my 2nd trimester and then really didnt get a whole lot bigger in the 3rd.
Also, I NEVER use my changing table...I just have a couple of multi-use pads that I keep in all the rooms, and just change her on that (just a little $ saver that I wish I had known). As for clothes, Old Navy is having a huge sale were it is 50%off already reduced prices, so I got a bunch of cute clothes for $.78 a couple of days ago.

{Jeff+Elisa} said...

I'm glad that I'm not the only one crying during BL!! I didn't like last season either cause I watched a couple of episodes with Vicky and she made me mad. Wow, I can't believe you are due so soon!! I love your preg tummy, I think it's adorable!!! Oh, and I tried that make babies website and created our kid...not so cute...plus it came out with blond hair?!?