I was in the hospital for five days in January of this year. This is how I got there:
Late on a Friday night, I started experiencing some severe lower abdominal pain. I had had an ovarian cyst burst. I had never had a cyst burst before, so I went to Urgent Care the next morning thinking I had appendicitis.
Me: “I think I may have appendicitis.”
Doctor: “Well, you have no other symptoms, other than your pain, of appendicitis so you’re going to need to go to the Emergency Room for X-Rays because we don’t have that equipment here”
Great. Add another $150 co-pay on top of the $50 one for Urgent Care.
So with tears streaming down my face (I have an irrational fear of hospitals, doctors, blood etc.) I drive to the emergency room. I’m there until 12:00 that night. They put me on an IV, did a CT Scan, and a rather uncomfortable ultrasound. Ladies, you know what I’m talking about. To top it off, that ultrasound was given by a male doctor about my age. I’m waiting in my bed for the results, when another doctor walks in.
Me: “So….?”
Doctor: “Well, you don’t have appendicitis, but we do see an abscess of fluid. We’re going to need to do surgery to see what it is. Unfortunately we don’t have a surgeon on duty, so we’re going to need to ambulance you to Banner Baywood and they’ll do the surgery tonight”
Me: “We can’t drive there ourselves?” (Dustin was, of course, with me this whole time)
Doctor: “No once we’ve admitted you it has to be by ambulance.”
Great. How much is that going to cost me? After another hour of waiting, I arrive by ambulance at Banner Baywood hospital. They put me in a room with a very old sick lady and tell me that someone will see me in the morning. What?!? Really? I just wanted to get this over with and go home.
The next morning, I see the surgeon. He says to put me on antibiotics, and he’ll see me the next day.
The next day he drops in for 5 seconds to tell me he’ll see me the next day.
The next day I get another CT Scan and don’t see the surgeon, or any doctor, at all. (Note: I was promised results of the scan, and that I could go home if they were clear)
The next day, I finally hear from the OBGYN doctor and he said that the fluid had not cleared up but as long as I felt fine I was free to go, but I have to be officially discharged from the surgeon.
Finally, by the next morning I had had it. I had felt absolutely fine since the 2nd day. (I had had a blessing the night before) I stand by the nurse as she calls the surgeon to have me discharged. I’m told I have to wait until he can come see me. He doesn’t come until 1:30, which means that I’m charged for another day at the hospital. How convenient. He prescribes me antibiotics (the same dosage I had been on during my stay) and tells me I can go home. (WHY didn’t they just do this first?)
My theory? The hospital saw a young naïve couple and decided to get all the money out of us that they could. We owed the hospital $2500, the surgeon $200, the OBGYN $200, the ambulance $150. (Not to mention the $200 in co-pay fees I had already paid) I told the hospital to please bill me and I would figure out a payment plan.
Unfortunately, the hospital had my apartment number wrong, so I did not receive any of their bills. My first call regarding any of this was in March from a collections company. I explained that I had not received anything, and agreed to pay them $100 a month.
In June, I decided that I wanted to get pregnant. I went to a new OBGYN clinic, and related what had happened earlier in the year. I asked her professional opinion, and she said “The Emergency Room should have recognized this as a burst cyst, prescribed you antibiotics and sent you home. If the conditioned worsened, then you would have had to go back.” Theory confirmed. If they would have done their job, I wouldn’t have a huge hospital bill, and I wouldn’t be in the following situation.
Which brings me to today. Today I got a call from the collections company.
Me: “Hello?”
Caller: “ Is this Erin Watson?”
Me: “Yes”
Caller: “This is (some jerk) from HealthCare collections. I’m calling to let you know that if you don’t pay off your balance with us by the first of December, it will report as a delinquent amount to the credit bureau and remain on your report for 7 years.”
Me: “What? I’ve made my payments with you on time every month!”
Caller: “Yes, I see that, but we just added this new policy.”
Me: “That is really unfair, I’ve worked really hard to keep my credit up and my report clean! (I have a 725)
Caller: “Yes, but this is our policy”
Me: “If I would have known about this policy from the beginning, I would have figured out some way to have it paid off by now”
Caller: “Yes, but we just added this new policy. I suggest you borrow the money from someone or…”
Me: “I will call you back”
And I hung up.
This is the edited version of the conversation. I usually am never rude, or yell at anybody. But today I caved and used some very choice words.
So that’s it. That’s why I hate hospitals and money. If I don’t come up with $1165 in 13 days, my credit will be ruined all for an unnecessary hospital stay.
1 year ago
7 comments:
Oh, Erin - that sucks! This is exactly why I am pro universal health care. I have never delt w/this, but here are some of my thoughts:
* Do you have any notification from the collections company listing the $100/month pymt agreement?
* New policies should not affect exsisting contracts (only NEW ones), if so it should be listed in the "pymt aggreement"
* You should have been given AT LEAST 30 days notification
* Is there a 3rd pary person (not affiliated w/the hospital or collections) you can speak to regarding your legal rights in this situation?
While it totally sucks, it may be more financially advantagous to get a small loan from a bank (or your parents/in-laws) to pay the collections co. since your remaining balance is only $1100. Your credit score would not be hurt and you wouldn't have to hear from the stupid collections people anymore. Also, because the balance is so low, any type of legal action would be too pricey to make it worth the fight.
Sorry, babe. Good luck and keep us posted.
Elaine, I actually was given 30 days notice. Last month they called me and told me this same thing, and I worked out a plan that if I paid $232 a month for 6 months, it would not go on my credit. Another lie. I just didn't add that part because I felt my post was already really long. And I totally agree with the new policy thing. But they don't. So yeah...we'll come up with the money somehow. But thanks for your advice!
Now take my advice:
STICK IT TO THE MAN
My story isn't as horrid as yours, but when I had my infection, I went to the ER, told them I suspected an infection, and then waited in the waiting room. They called me in, poked my widdle belly and then sent me home with these instructions: Take tylenol and keep an eye on it.
Which put me in the ER two days later in so much pain I very nearly strangled the poor boy in admissions.
After I was given morphine, I asked everyone in scrubs that walked by why Why WHY didn't they listen the first time?!? They were all baffled.
"Evidently the infection hadn't manifested itself."
Bull honky. I told them I thought I had an infection and they shouldve darn well listened!
My @#$#@ OBGYN came to the ER. He asked how I was and then billed me $100.
I was in the hospital for 4 days on IV antibiotics for an infection.
If I were you, I'd fight. Fight to the death. It's not personal, it's business.
I love you! Sometimes life really sucks! Love much and do what you can. I wish we were filthy rich and could help you out. I'm paying my tithing this month with MUCH FAITH FOR A MIRACLE. Love, Mommy
ps only a few more days before you know the gender of your precious little one, and just a few more days till incredible food and family!
I love you! This really sucks.
Think about good things....like...just a few more days until you find out the gender of your precious little one....then think about all the great homecooked food you will be getting on Thanksgiving! I for one am paying my tithing this month with MUCH FAITH that all things will work out for our good. It's great to be a small business owner?
Love, Mommy
You renegotiated and they still won't honor your aggrement?!! That's just ridiculous! Especially when prego, I tend to be really...passionate, regardless fo the actual emotion. So, if I get angry, I could spit fire. Hopefully all the drama will be over soon. And, just like your mom said - there are lots of things to look forward to!
So I've read pretty much your entire blog this morning trying to get caught up. I am with you on hating doctors/hospitals/pretty much the entire medical proffesion. It's kind of like insurance companies - a total scam, except legal. I can't believe they made you stay in the hospital for 5 DAYS!! Dang. Like your mom said, maybe there will be a miracle. Hope so.
Post a Comment