I’ve never seen The Notebook and refuse to see Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I hate the radio show Delilah, and cringe when a guy writes a love poem or says something like, “Watch over my heart…I’ve left it with you”. I like David Cook better than David Archuleta and I don’t like the Twilight series.
It’s not that I haven’t read the books. I have. I really tried to like them. Everyone is obsessed with these books. My sister, Jennifer, has read the series 9 times (not an exaggeration). My sister-in-laws love them; my friends love them…I thought I could too. I mean, what’s not to like? It’s fantasy, adventure, werewolves, vampires and a character named Edward that instills unrealistic expectations of men in all women. But a story that ultimately ends in all love and no sacrifice really isn’t much of a story to me.
So sorry, Twilight fans, I guess I’m just not one of you. But please remember these things (I’m talking to you Jennifer!!): True love does not manifest itself when you’re a sophomore in high school. Men are not perfect; they will be a jerk about something sometime. And if you think getting married at 18 will be a perfect fairytale—you’ve been misinformed.
Once again, I apologize to all the Twilight readers. Mushy love stories just aren't for me.
1 year ago
2 comments:
Wow.
You've just single-handedly taken on an entire nation of Edward loyalists. Brave.
I haven't read the books. I was talking to Danny about them. Here's how the conversation went:
Me: So, there's these new books out. They're written by an LDS lady from the Valley, but they're not "LDS" books. They're, like, these vampire love stories.
Danny: What? That sounds retarded.
Me: Yeah, but everyone says they're different. They're supposed to be really good. Everyone is reading them.
Danny: So, you hate them.
Me: How well you know me...
And then he titled my condition "a popularity complex". I can't argue with him because he's right. And he really proved his point last night when I found some of my clothes from high school (remember the bright orange scarf?). Eh, oh well.
I'm glad you don't like the books. I'll read them eventually. I may end up liking them, but I'm glad you don't. I'm glad someone doesn't like them. I can't explain why. I just feel more at peace. Thank you.
Hey Erin! I'm glad you found my blog. This post is hilarious to me. Yes, I'm a lover of Twilight I'll admit. It does freak me out though what kind of message it sends to younger girls. The relationships in the book are just way too un-realistic... but I guess nothing worse than Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty or something like that.
Post a Comment